The Colorado potato beetle often causes irreparable damage to the crop. To destroy insects, many chemical preparations have been developed, but many gardeners prefer alternative methods of pest control. Mustard and vinegar are simple and effective remedies that are safe for the environment and humans.
Colorado potato beetle is an insect from the leaf beetle family. Larvae and adults feed on the leaves of potatoes, tomato, eggplant, sweet pepper, physalis. It has high resistance to insecticides and forms immunity to them, which greatly complicates the fight against this pest.
What is the principle of mustard and vinegar
Relative to the Colorado potato beetle, mustard is a repellent plant. It secretes active substances that cause intolerance in beetles. She cannot poison pests, but beetles cannot tolerate her smell – it frightens off both beetles and larvae. Vegetable greens treated with mustard solution become inedible for insects.
The positive quality of mustard is that it is compatible with most drugs with a chemical or biological effect. Mustard solution can be combined with any folk remedies: decoctions of wormwood, horsetail, celandine, dandelion, walnut leaves, etc.
The effect of vinegar on the body of the Colorado potato beetle manifests itself in a different way. Once in the digestive tract, concentrated acid is able to burn out the insides. However, the use of vinegar essence of 70-80% is undesirable: such a solution is harmful not only for beetles, but also for the plant. This remedy is also dangerous for humans: by inhalation, a burn of the upper respiratory tract is possible; If it gets on the skin or mucous membranes, burning occurs, redness and swelling develop.
Recipes for folk remedies
Mustard and acetic acid can be mixed or used separately, as well as to prepare multi-component products.
Spray solutions are prepared as follows:
- Pour a glass of mustard powder with cold water (1 l), stand for 2 days. Then dilute the mixture to a volume of 10 l and spray the plants. If you make mustard with boiling water, the solution will be ready in 1.5-2 hours.
- A more effective means is a mixture of mustard with laundry soap. Soap (50 g) should be ground on a grater, add to mustard tincture, stir until completely dissolved.
- The simplest recipe: dissolve half a glass of vinegar in a bucket of water. Use for foliage irrigation.
- An effective remedy is a mixture of acetic acid 10% with mustard infusion. The prepared solution can only be used for spraying.
- The complex composition will help get rid of both larvae and adults. On a bucket of water you need to take 100 g of mustard powder, pour vinegar (100 ml), turpentine (100 ml), tincture of wormwood (300 ml), infusion of onion husks (300 ml). Stir everything thoroughly, then add 2-3 heads of chopped garlic. Strain the solution before use.
How to apply folk remedies
It is advisable to process potato beds in the evening when the heat subsides. Do not do this on cold and windy days. Bushes need to be irrigated abundantly, so there should be a lot of solution.
Protection for garden plants is the mustard growing in the aisles.
Any treatment should be stopped 20 days before harvest.